Monday, November 10, 2008

How it all began

2:05 PM by Mike ·
Labels:
Early this year a friend introduced me to Shadows Over Camelot. It was the first time I had ever seen a real, published cooperative board game. I had thought about such things before, especially when my wife and I would play games, which wasn't a whole lot because of the contention it would produce. We're both quite competitive so it was hard to lose. "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a game we could play that wasn't competitive?" I thought. After we played my mind really got going. I've had game ideas in the past, but now I really had something to think about. As I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I thought that it would be fantastic to have a game that couples could play (not that it wouldn't be fun for anyone else) in which they could cooperate in an attempt to be the game, not each other. One of the early ideas that I had (it was basically just an idea, I had never really done much but think, wouldn't that be fun) was players playing as Captain Moroni moving around the board, raising Titles of Liberty. So I went back to that idea and started really thinking about it, with the goal of making it a cooperative game. In the end it became a game of Nephites vs. Lamanites set during the Captain Moroni period of war. Players play as Nephite captains seeking to recover lost Nephite cities and protect Zarahemla from the Lamanites.
So, there you have it. That is how it all began.
More to come on this game and others.

0 comments:

Mormon Game Design on Facebook