Thursday, September 3, 2009

Treasure Hunt

Recently I was looking for some sort of treasure hunt (based on the Book of Mormon or scripture) that I could use with my kids during family home evening. I came across this (link) idea from About.com. It looked promising from a quick glance. But after reading through it a little more carefully, I found that it didn't make a whole lot of sense. I understood how to set it all up, printing out clues and gluing things together, getting the appropriate pictures, hiding things, etc. The problem came with the clue cards. There are the "right" clues and then there are "dummy" or "incorrect" clues. Well, you glue the big X on the back of the incorrect clues. Isn't that a dead give-away to kids? I mean, all they will have to do is look at the back of the two clues they are given? Anyway, it didn't make sense to me and I had promised the kids that we would do a treasure hunt (I don't know about any of you, but I love the idea of hunting for something and using clues to find it, and my kids are no different than me; they love it as well). So I had to think of something. This is what I came up with:

I thought of a few (I think it was 5) scriptures that included things that could be found in my home. For example, I used Mosiah 3:10 where it talks about the Savior and how he would be resurrected and judge the world. We have several pictures of Jesus Christ in our home. So I cut some 3" x 5" cards in half, wrote the scripture reference on one side, and wrote a short clue on the other side. In this instance I wrote something like, "Who does this scripture refer to?" I didn't even have to say "look through the house for Jesus." The kids just automatically started looking at all the pictures of the Savior throughout the house (I had "hidden" the next clue on one of those pictures). So they went along like that until they found the last clue which directed them to the treasure we had picked out for them. All in all it only took about 10 minutes to set up and the kids really enjoyed it!

Through this activity we could help the kids become a little more familiar with scripture references, with the Book of Mormon (like where different books were found, etc.), with numbers and sequences (some of our kids are younger so they are still learning how to look up verse 20 that it comes later on in the chapter than verse 8), and we could help them with their reading aloud as everyone needed to hear the clue so that they could go searching for the next one. It's great how even little things like this really offer quite a range of teaching and learning opportunities!!

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

JFullmer said...
September 4, 2009 at 6:32 AM

I also was a bit miffed that someone had not come up with a cool treasure hunt for the scriptures. Your idea sounds great for primary age kids.

My 13 year old and I developed one that I use for youth conferences where you have a list of 20 different scripture people each with 3 clues. The clues are chosen to help you find the person's identity using the index. Once you figure out which person corresponds to each number you search the ward building for the picture of the person. Next to each picture is a Hebrew symbol. Copy the symbol next to the corresponding number (example: 1. Laman #). This becomes the key for filling in numbered blanks on the Treasure Hunting sheet with Hebrew symbols. When this is done the kids get a translation sheet which then decodes the Hebrew into a verse of scripture that the kids must use their index to find the reference for. When they do, that scripture reference will give them the final clue (the numbers in the reference can be translated, just like with the other numbers, into the final answer).

I know that sounds incredibly complex but it's really not. It's just multiple steps. It's a very fun way to get older kids (and adults) into the scriptures.

Hey, Hagoth looks great - a big kudos to your artist.

Mike said...
September 4, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Jay,
That sounds like a lot of fun! I'm having a hard time following exactly how it all goes though.

So, you have a sheet with numbers 1 through 20. You also have a list of 20 people with 3 references per person. Those references help you know which number goes to which person. Then you put the Hebrew symbol next to each number. Those Hebrew symbols go in the numbered blanks on another sheet. And finally you use a "code sheet" to help decode the Hebrew and find the final clue. Is that how it works (I guess this whole thing has been a question)?

Could you give me an example of the 3 scripture references that somehow put that person at some specified number?

Mormon Game Design on Facebook